***WE ARE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2018***
Apply to the Biochemistry Graduate Program today and start your graduate studies in Ontario’s
leading Biochemistry program!
Before applying to McMaster University, you need to prepare your application. For complete instructions, please refer to the
School of Graduate Studies website (see “Start Your Application” button below).
Start Date: MAY 1, 2018 – Closed
Start Date: September 1, 2018
Applications close: May 31, 2018
Admission into the Biochemistry Graduate Program M.Sc. program requires a minimum of a B.Sc. with B+ average (8.5/12) in Biochemistry. Students with a Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Medicine, Microbiology or Physics degree are also eligible for admission. While most students are admitted to our programs as M.Sc. students, undergraduates having exceptional grades (consistent A to A+ average in all four years of study) and research experience may be considered for direct admission to our PhD program. Students may request consideration for admission by this route by emailing the Associate Chair, Graduate Education, (Dr. Brian Coombes) or Graduate Officer (Lisa Kush). Decisions are made by the Graduate Recruitment Committee in direct consultation with the student.
Students applying to our program who already hold a M.Sc. degree from another institution can be admitted directly into the Ph.D. program subject to approval from our admissions panel. Such students are required to take a qualifying exam, similar in structure and content to a transfer exam within their first nine months of graduate school. In some cases, the admissions panel will recommend students holding a M.Sc. be admitted to the program as a Master’s student. All students who enter into the M.Sc. program have an opportunity to transfer directly into the Ph.D. program once here and established in the lab.
The Biochemistry Graduate Program will assemble all documentation.
- Initial assessments of completed applications are conducted in March. All students will be informed of our decision no later than April 30th. The Department Admissions Committee will review applications weighing many factors including the applicant’s scholastic record, letters of recommendation, letter of intent, prior performance in laboratory research, and often personal interviews.
- Acceptance into our Graduate Program is contingent upon identifying and being accepted by a suitable supervisor in our program. Therefore we strongly encourage students to contact faculty members and to visit our department to discuss possible research projects.
- The department will send all favourable applications to the School of Graduate Studies for final approval.
- An official letter of admission will be sent from the School of Graduate Studies. Applicants may be accepted conditionally before completing their present degree.
- Successful applicants are required to accept or decline their offer of admission within the specified time by completing an on-line response form.
The most important step on the road to graduate studies is choosing a supervisor. While we assume that many applicants will already have an idea of what they want to study and/or which faculty member they want to work with, we know that many applicants have not made this decision at the time of application. We encourage candidates to contact prospective faculty members to inquire about possible openings at any time, before or after submitting their application.